Shondi is a wife and hairstylist from Austin Texas, where she lives with three cats and two dogs. She is currently writing a book about her experience with breast cancer. Shondi was diagnosed with breast cancer in November of 2012, at the age of 33 and along with physical and health changes that came to be as a result of treatments and surgeries, it was as a pivotal point in her life. It was the catalyst that eventually allowed her to explore healing on deeper levels, not just in regards to the PTSD that she suffered in the years following cancer treatment, but of internal shame and past traumas that she had not even realized were holding her back. Through somatic therapy she practised with a yoga instructor during chemotherapy treatment, she realized that she is highly sensitive and empathic. She is starting to learn about how to best take care of herself psychically and currently exploring how she can better put her healing instincts and abilities to work for others. She likes to think of herself as a beauty bringer. She is a chameleon, shaving her head and wearing her head bare one day and a variety of wigs and hairpieces on other days. She thrives on creating a sacred space to dwell. She creates altars everywhere and for everything. Composition in daily life is just as satisfying as creating a painting or another art piece, and she dabbles in multiple crafts for fun. One of her favorite ways to bring beauty is to offer her house for monthly New Moon gatherings, spending the entire day preparing the space for ritual and communion with Moon Queen Sisters. Shona formed some deep connections with her clients who now not only come for haircuts, but for emotional and wellness support. She believes that self-care is paramount to feeling safe in the body and that it is not selfish to take care of yourself first. If practising self-care mindfully, she believes that it serves the greater good.
- Learn more about the Self Care Club membership and get your free downloads at www.selfcareclub.net
- Check out Shondi’s website at http://hairbyshondi.com/
- Read Shondi’s blog at SittingwithShondi.wordpress.
- Follow Shondi on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/sitting_with_shondi/
- Follow her on Twitter https://twitter.com/therealshondi?lang=en
- Check out her Facebook business page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pearl-Hair-and-Make-Up-Studio/488647181230615?rf=232985973521632
- Follow Self Care Club on Instagram @SelfCareClubbb
- Listen to Self Care Club’s sister podcast at www.dreamfreedombeauty.com
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Book: The Artist’s Way by Julia Cameron
- Music: The Doors
- Book: Many Moons by Sarah Gottesdiener
- Meditation App: Insight Timer https://insighttimer.com/
- Blue Apron https://www.blueapron.com/